Each mini-unit is aligned to a specific book and includes the following:
- 1-page read aloud with themes to teach, vocabulary to point out, stopping points and questions, and a mentor sentence
- 1-page cheat sheet for vocabulary with student definition and things to point out about the word
- 1-page vocabulary examples and non-examples
- photographs to go along with each word to help define
- sticky note questions and template for easy printing
- end of book discussion points
- sentence scramble and “because, but” sheets to complete with the mentor sentence
- 2-3 response sheets to complete at the end of the book
How do you use these in your classroom?
I use these mini book companions during my interactive read aloud time. I will usually read the same book 2-3 times per week.
Day 1: I explicitly introduce the vocabulary with photgraphs, the student friendly definitions, and the things to point out about each word. Then, I read the story aloud and use the stopping points as a guide to ask students comprehension questions.
Day 2: review vocabulary and give yes/no examples. Then, I re-read the story with a purpose based on one of the recording sheets (retelling, character traits, etc.). We will discuss the purpose and objective together then students will complete the recording sheet.
Day 3: review objectives from day prior and read the page with the mentor sentence. Discuss the sentence with examples and activities from the mini-unit and have students complete either the sentence scramble or the because, but completion sheet.
- Clark the Shark
- Creepy Carrots
- I Need my Monster
- Jabari Jumps
- Sandwich Swap
- The Bad Seed
- The Kissing Hand
- The Thing Lou Couldn’t Do
- Owl Moon
- The Cool Bean
- The Squirrels who Squabbled
- The Invisible Boy – coming soon
- The Big Bed – coming soon
- Lily’s Purple Plastic Purse – coming soon
- Quiet Please, Owen McPhee – coming soon
- Eraser – coming soon
- After the Fall – coming soon
- Giraffe Problems – coming soon
- Officer Buckle & Gloria – coming soon
- Nerdy Birdy – coming soon
- Hoot and Peep – coming soon
- Amazing Grace – coming soon
- Maddi’s Fridge – coming soon
- How to Wash a Woolly Mammoth – coming soon
- & many more coming soon!
Please note: As more books get added to this bundle, the price will go up! Once purchased, you will receive all updates and additions for free.