Writing Reviews: A Writer’s Workshop Unit
Opinion writing unit for primary grades that focuses on writing reviews! This writer’s workshop unit is an extension of my Opinion Writing Unit where I previously taught them how to write opinions and provide reasons for them.
That being said, this unit could stand on its own without the previous opinion unit. Your students may require a few extra “what is an opinion?” lessons!
Please download the preview to see more!
In this unit:
– Getting Started: a detailed outline on how I teach the unit
– What is a review? anchor chart
– The parts of a review mini reference posters
– What can we review? anchor chart
– 3 different activities for students to practice reviewing: a toy review, food tasting, and plenty of different review cards
– 2 different 1st grade “exemplar” student samples
– Graphic organizers to map out student thinking
– Writing templates to pick and choose from
– Class book ideas
– Individual and partner editing checklists
– Individual and partner revision checklists
– Writing reviews rubric